1997-02-15 - Re:

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f604008002c9329570c4b662499e00a44a995374486220ca79145c0b1f186f52
Message ID: <PZ562D31w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199702150841.AAA07706@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-15 14:14:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 06:14:50 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 06:14:50 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:

"Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu> writes:

> [cc list trimmed!]
>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk wrote:
>

> > > Is it legal or illegal to send a
> > > PGP encrypted message from the US to someone in another country?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Rubbish.  It is perfectly legal.  See generally
> http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/clipper.htm

I remember teaching in my computer security class how in 1944
the congress passed an act making it illegal to send encrypted
messages fro m the U.S. to abroad via snail mail, radio, etc;
it covers the not yet invented communications too (like computer
networks) and is on the books in U.S.Code somewhere. No further
laws need to be passed for the fuckers to start enforcing it.

> PS. His sexist comments are rubbish too.  I usually like his crypto posts,
> however, as long as they are technical rather than legal...

Paul's sexist comments are very interesting - I hope to find more time to
comment on them too. I don't know if they have the same kind of "affirmative
action" in the U.K. that they have in the U.S. - here if you find a woman
in the position of authority, there's a good chance that she was promoted
ahead of more qualified men to meet some quota, and is therefore incompetent.

Remember how Klintoris (spit, spit) was determined to have a female attorney
general 4 years ago, and went through a slew of female candidates, rejecting
the best qualified ones like Kimba Wood, because she did what every working
mother in this country does - hired a babysitter for cash - and finally
appointed the bull dyke murdreress? No wonder the most ignorant shysters
on this forum, like Jim Ray (spit) come from Florida. Did he take classes
with Froomkin? :-)

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM