1997-02-05 - Re: John’s: In anarchy -everyone responsible

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: “Attila T. Hun” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: fe56a17d17cc2331b21e45a36a6c33ae303de69a3090ced17f7de3893997ccc5
Message ID: <199702051526.HAA28775@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:26:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:26:12 -0800 (PST)
To: "Attila T. Hun" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: John's: In anarchy -everyone responsible

At 09:05 PM 2/4/97 +0000, Attila T. Hun wrote:
>on or about 970204:0312 Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com> said:
>+   Is the desire for an anarchic community at odds with a desire for
>+   good use of resources?

Actually, it is quite possible that an "anarchic community" is _more_
efficient in the use of resources than some sort of organized community.
It is explained, for example, that the reason there are so many different
kinds of life on earth is that there are so many ecological niches to fill.

>        In a "popular" anarchy, Jim Bell's assassination politics make
>    perfectly good sense; but, a "popular" anarchy is not an _anarchy_.

I guess I don't understand the distinction you are trying to make, between a
"popular anarchy" and an "anarchy."    Maybe you were trying to distinguish
between "dictatorship of the few (or one)" and "dictatorship of the many (perhaps a
majority)" but it didn't come out very understandably.

Put simply, "anarchy is not the lack of order.  It is the lack of _orders_."

>        anarchy is only possible in an ideal world where _everyone_
>    assumes not only responsibility for themselves, but for the common
>    good.  no malice, no greed, no need for assassination politics....

No, that's traditional thinking and that's wrong.  See AP part 8.  Freud
believed (as "everyone" else believed, even myself, before AP) that anarchy
was inherently unstable.  But it ISN'T, if the tools of AP are used to
stabilize it.  And no, no altruism is necessary for AP to work as well; no
individuals are being asked to sacrifice themselves for the common good.
Rather, they are given the opportunity to work to achieve a reward offered,
cumulatively, by a number of citizens.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread