1997-03-25 - Re: UK to ban free use of crypto?

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Message Hash: 35996d8e2a8f46a5e86e32cd19f396e3c613d1689980fbb6e1d79a780608a8a6
Message ID: <199703250023.AAA00902@server.test.net>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970324005655.00627bd8@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-25 00:37:41 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:37:41 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:37:41 -0800 (PST)
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: UK to ban free use of crypto?

Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> The big problem is that the document has a really warped view of the
> cryptographic and business services that a "Trusted Third Party"
> would provide, and some parts are expressed in quite broad language.
> For instance, it implies that the TTP is being trusted with private keys,
> otherwise there would be no way for it to recover anything.
>
> On the other hand, from their Q&A:
> 	Q: Will a TTP be able to access an encrypted message ?
> 	A: No. It is important to be clear that it is not envisaged
> 	that the encrypted communication would be routed via the TTP.
> 	Nor will the TTP encrypt the message, it will merely assist
> 	(depending on the service offered) in the very complex area of
> 	key management or Key Certification.

I think that the paper implies in several places that TTPs, if they
offer a CA service for public encryption keys, will also be required
to hold the private keys, and to hand the private keys over to the
government on demand.

This Q&A is not contradictory with this interpretation.

When they say that the TTP will not be able to decrypt the message,
what they mean is that it would be able to decrypt the message if the
message were given to it, but that that's not the way the GAK
architecture works.

What happens is they first obtain a authorisation for a wire tap, then
obtain copies of your email.  Then they go to the central access point
and ask for your private key.  Then *they* decrypt your email.  `The
TTP will not be able to access an encrypted message' in the sense that
they won't give it the message to decrypt.

> If the TTP is not encrypting the data, they don't need the secret key
> or your private key.  They DO need your public key, to sign it,
> so a second party can trust that a key they have is really yours.
> But you and the second party can use the signed keys to exchange a
> secret session key, or to sign documents, without the TTP's help.*

This is bypassing the intent of the key-escrow/GAK functionality of a
TTP.  There is a section which discusses this, and makes it a design
criteria that users not be able to by pass the GAK function, whilst
making use of the signature certification function.  Personally, I'm
not sure that this is possible, as there a whole host of ways around
it.  (Use the signature key in the way you suggest, superencrypt,
subliminal channels, stego, etc).

> The main time you want another party to have a copy of your keys
> is for stored data:  to cover the "employee dies" case
> (the document explicitly permits companies to handle their own keys
> without regulation, so no TTP is needed here),

This is the point which I think should be pushed: the only commercial
need for CKE (_commerical_ key escrow) is for _stored_ data.  Do you
see any corporations crying out to open their communications for
industrial espionage by DISSI, NSA, GCHQ, etc.?

> SO - what _is_ all this malarkey about "legal access" and "key recovery"
> and "key escrow" systems?  The document claims repeatedly that it's not
> purporting to regulate any of the conditions under which a Third Party
> would ever be Trusted with the keys you actually encrypted something with.

I think there are several sections which imply that the TTP must keep
private encryption keys for any public encryption keys it holds (and
that it must allow government access to them).  There are many places
where the presumption is made that the TTP has the key to release to
government.

Adam