1997-03-05 - ECPA/1997: the other shoe?

Header Data

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: 619c2f43458b8bb87243f5f4eeaee993120a958fcb34864ce02b3d6b94c77f53
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970305075144.00727e54@mail.io.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:45:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:45:29 -0800 (PST)
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: ECPA/1997: the other shoe?

I've seen discussion on various lists and in the media about the reissue of
Sen. Burns' Pro-CODE bill (S. 377); I was poking around thomas.loc.gov for
information about S. 377 and ran across S. 376, introduced by Sen. Leahy,
the "Encrypted Communications Privacy Act of 1997", which implements a lot
of legislation that cypherpunks types have been speculating about for
several years now.

I couldn't find an easily-accessible version of the bill's text on thomas,
so I cobbled one together from the online version of the Congressional
Register. It's located at <http://www.io.com/~gbroiles/ecpa1997.html>. I
HTML-ized it in a hurry, so please rely on the official version when one
becomes available.

I haven't had a chance to go over it in detail, but it purports to do these
things:

Makes the use of any cryptosystem in the US, or by US persons on foreign
soil, legal;

Prohibits the implementation of mandatory key escrow

Establishes standards and procedures under which key escrow agents may
release escrowed keys (including criminalizing wrongful release and
wrongful failure to release pursuant to court order/other authorization)

Criminalizes the willful use of encryption to obstruct justice

Confirms that it is legal to sell any cryptosystem within the US

Sets standards for the release of keys to foreign governments

I'll post a more detailed summary later when I've had a chance to go over
the bill more carefully.
--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
gbroiles@netbox.com         |

Thread