1997-03-12 - Cato forum on wiretapping and Digital Telephony (3/24/97)

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6387c0467e92797b1fcfbebcaafb15ced6912fac0e01ffd3355c9cb727749eaa
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970312081538.25189G-100000@well.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:15:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:15:59 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cato forum on wiretapping and Digital Telephony (3/24/97)

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:15:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Solveig Bernstein <sberns@cato.org>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: a cato forum

Declan, could you post this to fightcensorship or otherwise forward it around?

This forum will be held at noon on March 24 at the Cato Institute at 1000
Mass. Ave. N.W., Washington, DC.  To register, please call Heather Antilla
at 202.842.3490 or email to hantila@cato.org.

	Wiretapping in the Digital Age:
	Reassessing CALEA

Barry Steinhardt			Alan McDonald
ACLU						FBI

Jim Dempsey				Albert Gidari
Center for Democracy and Technology	Perkins Coie

CALEA, the "Communications Assistance in Law Enforcement Act," requires
phone companies to retrofit their networks to facilitate wiretapping by law
enforcement.  Are laws like CALEA appropriate for our constitutional
republic, or are the economic costs and dangers to privacy too great?
Should Congress have delegated to the FBI so much power to implement CALEA?
Have the FBI's demands under the statute been reasonable?

Solveig Bernstein, Esq.
(202) 789-5274
(202) 842-3490 (fax)

Assistant Director of Telecommunications & Technology Studies
Cato Institute
1000 Mass. Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20001

Thread