1997-03-22 - Re: PGP Security

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Message Hash: 8aff2f9d35ca210096e6fa3bb99373e91686a25afda2af3ec010bf40f5a87889
Message ID: <199703220150.TAA25262@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <5PTX4D3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-22 01:54:34 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:54:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:54:34 -0800 (PST)
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Subject: Re: PGP Security

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) writes:
>
> > Mark M. wrote:
> > >
> > > Speaking as "XXXXXXXXX" (or, at least, one of the "XXXXXXXXXs"), I did rece
> > > the following message which originated from "TruthMonger."  Shortly after I
> > > received the message, anon.nymserver.com closed down all of its free,
> > > anonymous accounts due to "abuse."
> > >

> > This is mostly addressed to jimbell: jim, it is now obvious that
> > the remailer network is as weak as a 5 year old child. It cannot
> > possibly withstand even mildest forms of "abuse".
> >
> > Due to this fact, I question the viability of your assassination
> > politics idea as it does not seem possible to safely operate an
> > assassination bot.
>
> Suppose I want to bet $1000 that Chris Platt's cat, "Ben", won't be
> assassinated until the end of March in some excruciatingly painful way
> (say, skinned alive, soaked in acid, and cut into pieces with an
> acetilene torch :-). What protocols can someone use to bet against me
> and to collect the winnings? (Assume that I'll cheerfully pay up if
> I lose, and that the other party wants to remain anonymous.)

There may be a problem whish is that the bettors like yourself may be
held liable for any damages to Platt and his property. The lawyers on
this list can have more to say on that.

If there is presently no law covering that (likely there are) it is not
hard to come up with one, I believe.

Without anonymity it will not work very well. After all, if you announce
that you pay a prize to have someone murdered, your potential victim
will be able to murder you even earlier. Anonymity is crucial here.

> Another thought just occurred to me - LEA's often advertize hotlines for
> anonymous tips - a "stukach" is given a code and if his tip works,
> supposedly collects a payoff. Doesn't he have to give his ss# so his
> income can be taxed?

They may withhold the tax at the time of payment. It does not matter
anyways since it is a payment from the government. If they do not collect
taxes from payments to stukachi, they can simply reduce the payment amounts
proportionally.

Notorious stukach Colin James III knows better anyways. Ask him.

	- Igor.

Thread