1997-03-24 - Re: “why privacy” revisited

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: “Peter D. Junger” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a8d1a901e132e76a4cb6c16a4ab0956dabb4b39b2797e4284019f4adabca22d6
Message ID: <v03020917af5ba5598bbb@[139.167.130.246]>
Reply To: <v03007811af59c812477f@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-24 03:56:20 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:56:20 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:56:20 -0800 (PST)
To: "Peter D. Junger" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "why privacy" revisited

At 8:48 pm -0500 on 3/23/97, Peter D. Junger wrote:

> On the other hand the strongest proponent of interning the Japanese
> was the governor of California:  Earl Warren.

Thank you, Peter, for what I believe is the most singular example of the
two sides of the statism coin I've ever seen.

Seen with the traditional liberal/conservative political worldview, it
makes no sense for the famous compassionate liberal judge Earl Warren,
whose supreme court presided over the creation of the world's largest
welfare state, to advocate what is on its face an extremely conservative
act -- the internment of thousands of Japanese Americans in concentration
camps -- in his earlier role as a state governor.

Viewed from the statism/freedom standpoint, it is completely logical, that
is, "We're your nation-state. We're stronger than you are, and we'll take
what we damn well please from you, including your life, if necessary."

In the case of the Japanese concentration camps, it was taking the personal
freedom of Japanese Americans. In the case of the judicially activist
Warren court's welfare state, it was the confiscation of assets from
productive members of society in violation of the laws of economics, which
in turn caused misery for the increasing dole-dependant millions. People
who are now much less free than they ever were before the creation of the
"Great Society".

I *love* this list. Absolutely love it.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Never attribute to conspiracy what can be
explained by stupidity." -- Jerry Pournelle
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/rah/

Thread