1997-03-19 - Re: Market Failures, Monocultures, and Dead Kids (Oh My!)

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c1112503b0e171043d35bd58fd4d330be845bdfa1456c0119f73b1d96b5f0429
Message ID: <gcmT4D3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199703190615.AAA00723@smoke.suba.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-19 17:04:37 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:04:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:04:37 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Market Failures, Monocultures, and Dead Kids (Oh My!)

snow <snow@smoke.suba.com> writes:

> > The parents are the ONLY ones who have a right to determin the welfare of
> > their childern. If the parents determin that the risks of reaction to the
> > innoculation outways the benifits that choice is their's and their's alone.
>
> 	So, parents should be allowed to:
>
> 	1) Beat their children on a daily basis, because it is good for them.

Indeed, in most cultures beating the shit out of one's children 9and women)
every day is the norm.  "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Western Civ is a
rare exception.

> 	2) Refuse to educate their children _at all_ because Knowlege is the
> 	   devils work.

Indeed, in most cultures until recently most people were never taught to read
unless they intended to become priests.

> 	3) Not clothe their children at all beause God Will Provide.
>
> 	4) Teach their children how to perform Oral, Anal, and "straight" sex
> 	   because they need to learn it someday?

Still very common in midwestern U.S.; less accepted elsewhere.

> 	Extreme examples, true, but it is what you are saying.

5) castrating one's male children if they show any propensity to sing -
in hopes that they'll become one of the few famous and successful male
sopranos - viewed favorably in 18 and 19 centiry Italy.

6) teaching children bullshit about "god".

What market force or natural selection discourages "abuse"?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM