1997-03-30 - Re: remailer spam throttle

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c7a98b4eb56aac813ab2a3927d71f4a97a4d23104bed58e6904ecb77a630d582
Message ID: <g5Fc5D4w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970329004311.157C-100000@void.el.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-30 00:10:26 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 16:10:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 16:10:26 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: remailer spam throttle

Sergey Goldgaber <sergey@el.net> writes:
> -> Right now, there's a very large number of addresses in the key servers.
> -> Instantly making them into a list of addresses that accept anon mail
> -> will make it hard (hopefully infeasible) for the LEAs to investigate
> -> everyone willing to accept anon e-mail as a suspect in sending it.
>
> Unfortunately, key servers can not be trusted.  I'm sure you're aware that
> anyone can submit a key, and thus forgeries abound.
>
> If the above model is adopted, key servers will be the first target of
> the prospective spammer.

Why Sergey, you mean to tell me that there are key servers out there that
accept a key from a purported address and don't send back a cookie to that
address to see if it's not fake? :-) That's just terrible. Definitely no
key coming from such a server should be trusted. :-) :-)

Today is March 29, 1997 - almost April 1st. The Internet ain't what is
used to was 15 or 10 or even 2 years ago. If you get an e-mail that
purports to be from X, and it requests that you add X's public key
to your key server, or (un)subscribe X to a mailing list, or
block X from receiving anonymous e-mail - it may be a forgery.
Never act on such requests without trying to authenticate them
with a cookie.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM