1997-03-22 - Re: UK govt. to ban PGP (was Re: UK TTP Paper)

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: e2c2ebdac8aa487b96ce0f7c04c97464db8c27d5749eafe69987dbd4c5abc70b
Message ID: <33336C84.1DF1@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970321234615.008459a8@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-22 05:41:22 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:41:22 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:41:22 -0800 (PST)
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: UK govt. to ban PGP (was Re: UK TTP Paper)

John Young wrote:
> There does appear to be a coordinated global action to issue
> policies on TTP, GAK and the like at this time.
>
> All are apparently guided by The Wassenaar Arrangement amongst
> two dozen or so countries to act in concert, and to go public with
> dual-use controls in unison.
>
> So, Clint Brooks' comment at CFP about a new policy coming out
> for stronger crypto is a surely a harbinger of global GAK, in the
> guise of TTP or Key Recovery,

  Note that The Wassenaar Arrangement is not legislation passed
by our government or others. It is the product of people who sit
in rooms and make decisions as to how the future of the world
will be.
  Thus, through collusion between them, they decide what everyone
worldwide will be offered on the plate handed to them by their
government. Yet, when our legislators (and those of other nations)
pass laws affecting us, in order to 'fall into line' with these
'standards', it will be done under the auspices of 'the will of
the people'.

  My prediction is that, if it appears the efforts of global GAK
are stumbling because of opposition, then those opposing it will
find themselves attacked by a worldwide conspiracy to let the
streets in front of their homes go unattended and fall into
disrepair. The opposition will thus dwindle, as people spend their
time writing the mayor, and letters to the editor of their hometown
newspaper.
  Ridiculous? I'm just pointing out that the rule of law in most
countries has split into two factions. We have elected legislators
to vote for laws concerning the latest ten-second sound-byte
controversy on the Jenny Jones Show, and we have a global web
of regulators and private actors to decide the more important
issues concerning our freedom and privacy.

  So, in the end, don't be surprised if The Wassenaar Arrangement
is amended to include the provision that anyone agreeing to wear
leg chains will have the potholes fixed on the streets in front
of their homes.
--
Toto
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"