1997-04-07 - Re: Helping Prof. Jim Bell

Header Data

From: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
To: Secret Squirrel <nobody@squirrel.owl.de>
Message Hash: 03f604ae437096efd6f9a52546b624a5d85409262a79cd920f58073626edb96c
Message ID: <3349482F.237C@ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <5i0smu$75o@life.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-07 19:16:25 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:16:25 -0700 (PDT)
To: Secret Squirrel <nobody@squirrel.owl.de>
Subject: Re: Helping Prof. Jim Bell

Secret Squirrel wrote:

> If the FBI story is not yet another hoax, I think that it is
> a good diea to call jimbell and maybe donate him some $$ for
> lawyers or something like that.

I'm not sure sending him money for lawyers would be most helpful.

I was thinking another type of profession entirely.

Until Jim actually gets charged for something I don't see that
freedom of speech is the issue. Jim appears to be in trouble
for reasons not associated with his AP rants. The AP manifesto
has made it worse and attracted the opinion of the press but it
does not appear to have caused his trouble, merely affected the
way he was dealt with.

AP probably caused there to be 20 heavilly armed cops rather than
two unarmed ones. It probably meant that casual comments were
taken rather more seriously than otherwise. Bell was always much
more wacko off list than on.

	Phill

Thread