1997-04-09 - Re: Anti-Spambot: what algorithm should be used?

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: 1074ad520331d145da6d74ba0b069929fd62d0a3af96fafc8a397c7605b52a7b
Message ID: <334B36BD.7677@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <wVcV5D93w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-09 14:59:46 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 07:59:46 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 07:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: Anti-Spambot: what algorithm should be used?

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> Killfiles? So many scumbags whine about their inability to use them,
> so they try to silence whomever they don't like.

  Or they have them and still try to silence those whom they
don't like.

> Yes, if Alice just posts her regexps on a public Web page, a clueful
> person can automatically fetch them and add them to his killfile or
> even forge cancels for Bobs' articles that contain them.
>
> I think this would be a stupid thing to do because Bobs' articles
> may contain useful information besides Alice's ad. Also the regexp
> might occur in a followup to Bob's article, which may contain
> useful information.

  Some CypherPunks regularly brag about the size of their
killfiles.
  To me, this is not a far cry from bragging about not reading
anything written by niggers, "Cause they ain't not got nothing
to say less'n they say they is goin' back to Africa."

> But of course a reader is welcome to cut off his own nose to spite
> and face and to killfile anything he likes - as long as he doesn't
> prevent others from reading what they feel like reading.

  During the censorship experiment on the list, many of the
list members showed their flat-foreheaded tendencies by calling
for the censoring of anyone who deviated from the norm.

--
Toto
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"

Thread