1997-04-07 - Re: Helping Prof. Jim Bell

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Message Hash: 16500f347c6eaf0a609ddeb68f7fe49eed7b3b67a2c2b8a8c2c0de8af12bacaa
Message ID: <v03007804af6f310c7004@[168.161.105.191]>
Reply To: <5i0smu$75o@life.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-07 23:50:31 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:50:31 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Helping Prof. Jim Bell

Although I don't disagree with Phill in general, I note from the IRS
agent's affidavit that the reason given for searching his house was they
thought he was gonna do the AP thing after all. So AP does appear to have
caused if not all his troubles, at least the ones from last week.

-Declan

At 3:17 PM -0400 4/7/97, Hallam-Baker wrote:

>Until Jim actually gets charged for something I don't see that
>freedom of speech is the issue. Jim appears to be in trouble
>for reasons not associated with his AP rants. The AP manifesto
>has made it worse and attracted the opinion of the press but it
>does not appear to have caused his trouble, merely affected the
>way he was dealt with.
>
>AP probably caused there to be 20 heavilly armed cops rather than
>two unarmed ones. It probably meant that casual comments were
>taken rather more seriously than otherwise. Bell was always much
>more wacko off list than on.
>

>	Phill

Time Inc.
The Netly News Network