1997-04-13 - Re: A Rumor and Reputation Paradox…

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: 1832e442a223a3fb39b29a79abfa7550c3796c717388f34c4d8124e0b9c5ca5e
Message ID: <3351558E.C71@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <v03020945af76bb8cd2a1@[139.167.130.246]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-13 21:51:29 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: A Rumor and Reputation Paradox...

Robert Hettinga wrote:

> Here's something from cyberia which talks about the persistence of
> anti-reputation memes even in the presence of perfectly contradictory
> information.

> Subject:      Re: America Online and liability... the Horror
> To:           CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
>
>   In essence, the
> article documents a number of vicious rumours which have been spread on the
> internet about the clothing designer Tommy Hilfiger and allegedly racist
> comments that he made on the Ophrah Winfrey show.
>
> Not withstanding the fact that 1) Mr. Hilfiger never appeared on the
> Winfrey show and never made the statements in question, and 2) Hilfiger Co.
> has engaged in an online P.R. campaign to counter these rumours, they are
> persistent and widespread.

  I heard that the Hifiger's comments were actually made on the eca$h
list, which regularly contains posts suggesting euthenasia for the
elderly and the disabled.
  Of course, my source was posting from whitehouse.gov...
--
Toto
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"

Thread