1997-04-20 - Re: David Friedman and assassination politics

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 301d27761869f9e55f3588d08b1029f0efc2a8cc98f8e400b8ee68145bc1a1f1
Message ID: <VTPg6D26w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970420002806.23434A-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-20 16:03:52 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:03:52 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:03:52 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: David Friedman and assassination politics

Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> writes:

> So I just walked home from a party in Dupont Circle where some folks were
> telling me about a talk David Friedman gave at the Cato Institute about a
> week ago. (Apart from being Milt's son, David appears to be a
> well-respected libertarian thinker in his own right.) I didn't have the
> chance to go myself...
>
> Friedman, as I understand it, described how digital cash and anonymous
> remailers combine to form assassination markets. An assassin can establish
> a persistent anonymous identity through public key cryptography and take
> bids on future contracts.
>
> These ideas is of course not new to cypherpunks. We've been talking about
> them for years. But these ideas are slowly infiltrating the DC body
> politic. Assassination politics, here we come -- right, Jim? Want to give
> a speech at Cato? Perhaps we can talk some IRS officials into coming...

If they have the balls to let him talk.

I convinced Jim to submit a paper to the InfoWarCon last September, but
NSCA didn't have the balls to let him speak.  They did put him paper on
their web server, tho.

Dimitri "sick and tired of this virus" Vulis

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM