1997-04-29 - Re: Netscape plans to support GAK

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 47c9820f460cd7c805fe5e389e7bb2b589f051b6f38808ac7ce8e82374006f89
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19970429163809.008c471c@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:39:59 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape plans to support GAK

Robert Hettinga wrote:

>Yup. Looks like Barksdale(?) was right in his Pro-Excrow comments two years
>ago in Boston after all.
>
>Mr. Weinstein's Black Rhino Ammunition Inc. "Mr. Kevlar" award went for
>naught, I'm afraid...

While it might be too touchy for Netscaper cryptographers to address
openly, I wonder if there is not a scheme afoot to go along with the
current restrictions in order to be better positioned to compete with
others intending to launch robust encryption as soon as the leak in the
dam globally breaks.

There may be more to this story than appears in the PR of
industry and government. The crypto fight may be a diversion.

Suppose the governments intend to relax crypto restrictions
once other technologies to monitor electronic transactions are
in place and and enforcers have been trained to snare illegal
transactors based on physical evidence of crime beyond the
digital.

Recall that that's what Peter Neumann and others on the NRC
crypto panel suggested as an agenda for the FBI to forego undue
crypto emphasis.

Is it not possible that the US and other nations will allow strong
encryption so long as other means are at hand to control any
action merely cloaked in encrypted language, as has been done
forever with stylistic literature and speech?

To, as with its predecessors, tolerate the artist of cryptoanarchy
but guillotine the actor.

Thread