1997-04-28 - Re: Staale & Elm

Header Data

From: Alan <alano@teleport.com>
To: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Message Hash: 68a7d6cfa5c8d73c7e029479f9c44673ac47d427a9604a164b43e22769b3a24a
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.96.970428132857.15019B-100000@linda.teleport.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.970428135040.3380C-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-28 20:35:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Alan <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:35:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Subject: Re: Staale & Elm

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Rabid Wombat wrote:

> > Hmm.  I saw problems friday and saturday.  Saturday I was checking URLs in
> > a book on hacking and security that I'm editing, and a number of
> > ordinarily reachable sites were down.  Traceroutes to them showed
> > wierd routing problems, mostly routing 'loops'.
> >

> Things looked fairly stable Saturday, from my perspective. I'll sniff around.
> Routing loops do sound suspicious. Where were they cropping up?

I found the cause of my problem with connecting.

It seems that those sites have started doing reverse DNS lookups (probably
because of the l0pht hacks).  Reverse DNS is screwed up on my domain, so I
am getting dropped.  (The least people can do when denying addresses from
reverse DNS failure is to give a short message as to why so it can be
fixed, not just drop the connection with no error message.)  The thing
that had me confused about the whole situation is that I was able to get
in on a sporatic basis on one of the machines.

Fixing the problem on my end is going to be a pain.  I have to get it
resolved through two different ISPs to get the gordian dns knot
straightened out.  Blech!

Oh well...

Thread