1997-04-05 - AP / Mr. W. Remailer speaks out.

Header Data

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 77c4e24c63256d1be4bd02f3826fa142d1f48b4e462949368fc527d211ff4ffc
Message ID: <199704050623.BAA09488@dhp.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:23:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:23:49 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: AP / Mr. W. Remailer speaks out.

Mr. WinSock Remailer shot holes in Tim May's highly
questionable claim--
 "I support anonymous remailers for various purposes, but debate
is rarely enhanced in such cases."
--by producing an insightful post which actually quotes
Jim Bell's own words, instead of blathering on endlessly
about his or her own skewed interpretation of Bell's AP
system, by writing:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Phillip M. Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> >Timothy C. May wrote:
> >>
> >> Political advocacy is one thing, but making threats, even veiled ones, is
> >> another matter.
> >
> >Absolutely, that is why I was keen for people to oppose Bell's views.
> >If his ramblings had gone unchallenged he would now be being
> >presented as a representative of Cypherpunk/ pro-crypto views.
>
>   Likewise, we wouldn't want your ramblings to go unchallenged, as you
> might be presented as a representative of Cypherpunk/pro-crypto views.
>
> >Besides anything else Bell was like the party bore with a
> >hobby horse he just has to talk about. I'm somewhat more
> >sensitive than most to advocates of murdering government
> >officials, some of my relatives are in government and have
> >had well publicised assassination attempts against them.
>
>   Maybe they deserved them.  Making politics more risky may have the
> benificial effect of thinning out the ranks of politicians to truely
> dedicated ones, instead of the fat parasitic beurocrats we have now.
>
> >I think that Bell's posts were entirely different from Tim's or
> >for that matter almost every other person on the list. Tim
> >demonstrated that a covert information sales organisation was
> >possible with Blacknet but he never advocated setting it up.
> >Indeed part of the point was the ethical responsibilities. Bell
> >on the other hand was likely to respond to any post with his
> >AP piece. I have throughout considered these to be incitement to
> >murder.
>
>   Given certain political views contrary to your own, the government
> not only incites but commits murder daily, on a much greater scale.
> Is it so wrong try to put an end to this by a little strategic
> assassination?
>
> >paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >
> >> Not at all, Jim advocates the use of necessary force against an
> >> initiator of violence, as you would see if you have read Jims AP
> >> overview essay he does not advocate the use of AP to kill innocent
> >> people, indeed he does not intend it to kill anyone at all, Rather to
> >> act as a deterrent to government which would violate the NAP.
> >
> >Who decides what "innocent" was?
>
>   Certainly not the government.
>
> >In Jim's world it was very clear that he decided who was innocent,
> >he decided what his rights were, he decided who he could murder.
> >
> >He limited the justifiable targets of AP to be those he thought should
> >be targets. His argument with the IRS appears to have included the
> >claim that they infringed his rights which under Bell's manifesto
> >gives him the right to murder them.
>
>   You're completely off the mark.  Have you read his essay at -
> http://www.prairienet.org/bureau42/public/apfull.txt
>
>   He cited government officials involved in Waco, Ruby Ridge, and the IRS
> as examples.  But, he clearly stated that:
>
>  "It would be impossible, for example, to set up some sort of
>   "Assassination Politics Dictator," who decides who will live and who will
> [...]

  So, please, let the potheads on the list (the silent majority)
refrain from dismissing Bell's ideas due to his alleged use of
the 'wrong' illegal drug.
  And let the drunkards (Toto) and former drunkards (you know who
you are) refrain from embarrasing themselves by supporting every
lunatic who has also destroyed the better part of their brain
cells.
  I, on the other hand, am a licensed physician, and my use of
narcotics is for legal medicinal purposes only.

Dr. Roberts

Thread