1997-04-17 - [privacy] a junk email tracer [crypto]

Header Data

From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b14bc7c7321f124080185b8356d12592201957f8c3f7b8df6c2a0bed031b233d
Message ID: <199704171523.KAA07392@linkdead.paranoia.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:31:39 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:31:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [privacy] a junk email tracer [crypto]

Here's a little idea that I'll throw out to the sharks.
You've probably heard of people who alter their name/address slightly
when applying for credit cards, etc., so that they know when their name
has been sold on a list, and by whom.
Well I say, "why not with email?"
Consider a hack to sendmail (or whatever MDA you have) which
attempts to locate the email address given in a list of distributed
email addresses.  For example,

 vax01.na    put on web page
 vaxu53lr    sent to correspondent foo@bar.com
 vaxbl15.    put on business cards
etc.

Where crypto comes in:
You could actually have the tagged field be the encoded encryption
of the data on the right.  You'd still probably want a list to
weed out bogus addresses that decrypt to nonsense.  Or you could use
encryption to embed a tag marking it as "good" -- a
checksum, fingerprint, signature, whatever.

With an adequate MUA, you could even have it pull up the associated
description with the email as an X-source field or something.

I may not have time to implement this, which is why I threw it out here.
If you do implement it, be nice and put my email/web ptr somewhere
in the credits.  And send me a copy; I hate junk email.
CC me in your comments; this list is too voluminous.

Sorry about the long sig but the quote is appropriate.
--
VaX#n8 | http://www.paranoia.com/~vax | League of Non-aligned Wizards
``In the meantime, there may be a role for individuals who know their

Thread