1997-04-11 - Re: EPIC Alert 4.05

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: harka@nycmetro.com
Message Hash: b6a6b62f53995bdd45183d304b846e0c03bd79cdc0f4efeea32c14512b944b91
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970411154504.005df720@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <TCPSMTP.17.4.9.4.31.36.2780269260.1599073@nycmetro.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-11 22:54:07 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:54:07 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:54:07 -0700 (PDT)
To: harka@nycmetro.com
Subject: Re: EPIC Alert 4.05

>the privacy of information gathered about consumers by telephone companies.
>The recommendations cover Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI).
>CPNI is the information that is gathered by phone companies in the process
>of delivering services, such as numbers called, length of calls, and times
>calls were made.  The FCC is currently conducting a rulemaking on CPNI
>under the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Out of curiousity, was this before or after CALEA passed?
It would be interesting if the CDA superseded the "legitimate needs of
law enforcement" laws, though it probably has enough weasel words
to prevent that from happening...

>The law limits the use and disclosure of CPNI information:
>
>    a telecommunications carrier that receives or obtains
>    customer proprietary network information by virtue of its
>    provision of a telecommunications service shall only use,
>    disclose, or permit access to individually identifiable
>    customer proprietary network information in its provision of
>    (A) the telecommunications service from which such
>    information is derived, or (B) services necessary to, or used
>    in, the provision of such telecommunications service,
>    including the publishing of directories.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread