1997-04-09 - Re: Black box attacks (was Re: Crypto-Dongel)

Header Data

From: “Cynthia H. Brown” <cynthb@sonetis.com>
To: Jeremiah A Blatz <jer+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: be87792eb7f1cd011ad97874473ad0e8eddf92b3f629c5c5d54a35d1a19a832e
Message ID: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.970409121937.266A-100000@mrburns.iosphere.net>
Reply To: <0nGlUs200YUd1==LY0@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-09 16:36:26 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:36:26 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Cynthia H. Brown" <cynthb@sonetis.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jeremiah A Blatz <jer+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Black box attacks (was Re: Crypto-Dongel)

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Jeremiah A Blatz wrote:
> Dave Emery <die@pig.die.com> writes:
> >         I have heard about thermite devices being used for this in
> > the sort of applications that might warrent it.   Granted that this
> > is a royal fire hazard unless very carefully engineered, but at least
> > it is not an explosive per se....
>
> Thermite is probably overkill unless you're trying to dust something
> big like a hard drive. Just a bit of magnesium (which is often used as
> primer for thermite) should do the trick on a chip. I wonder if it's
> really essential to be so drastic, though? Would just getting the chip
> really hot be enough to wipe it? What about exposing it to a big arc?
> One might imagine a PCMCIA with a voltage doubling diode ladder and a
> small capacitor... would this be sufficient?

If you're trying to destroy a standard IC, why don't you just hook up the
power and ground pins to a 120V AC outlet?  No special equipment or
substances required, just a couple of wires.  Done it myself, and some
chips make a really neat popping sound as the top blows off :-)

Warning for the electronically challenged: don't use this method if you
care about the rest of the board.

Cynthia
		   Cynthia H. Brown, P.Eng.
E-mail:     cynthb@iosphere.net  | PGP Key:  See Home Page
Home Page:  http://www.iosphere.net/~cynthb/
Junk mail will be ignored in the order in which it is received.

        Klein bottle for rent; enquire within.

Thread