1997-04-14 - Re: SSL weakness affecting links from pa

Header Data

From: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
To: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Message Hash: c5ca002c9e001c1492a4c2de0a24f836808f708940bcc29d718f3e1c6ba06d7e
Message ID: <199704141744.TAA05305@internal-mail.systemics.com>
Reply To: <3351F2DF.7DC26A1A@netscape.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-14 17:44:20 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:44:20 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:44:20 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: SSL weakness affecting links from pa

> This particular feature (the HTTP referer header) has nothing to do with
> corporations "having their way" with users.  It was created so that web
> authors could put "back" buttons on their pages.  The security problem
> arises when stupid CGI authors use GET forms to transfer sensitive
> information.  This is a security hole in the web site, not in the
> browser.  The browser follows the HTTP specification.  If you have a
> problem with that, contact the author of that specification.  Or, better
> yet, contact the web site (as far as I know, there are none) that has
> this security hole.
>
> So, you think we're doing something bad.  Why don't you tell me what
> you think we should do?

A couple of points.  Firstly, I don't see a need for the referer header to
"traverse" different domains.  For example, if I have a local page called
"dorks.html", with a link pointing to, say, David Sternlights home page,
then he can deduce my opinion of him by looking at the referrer field.
This puts an unnecessary burden on my local bookmark web pages - I can no
longer give the pages reasonable names (such as "dorks.html").

Secondly, a back button should not be implemented using referer headers.  If I
have a back button on my page, I expect it to do what the Netscape back button
does.  However, this is not what happens - back buttons built into web pages
create a long chain of "forward" links. (I'm probably not explaining myself
too well here).  What is really required is a special type of link that does
exactly what the netscape back button does (and it would also be nice if I
could put forward links in my pages too).

Perhaps the latter objection is do-able in Javascript - it's been some time
since I tried.

Gary

Thread