1997-04-10 - Re: Information Systems Security Board

Header Data

From: “Phillip M. Hallam-Baker” <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
To: “Cypherpunks (E-mail)” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: cae7619b9c9ec3d94af791ef50dd2451708ebe3a51a8465ce3efe4ae685cf833
Message ID: <01BC45CF.1CE02650@crecy.ai.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Phillip M. Hallam-Baker" <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Cypherpunks (E-mail)" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Information Systems Security Board

"John Young" <jya@pipeline.com> wrote in article <5iil75$n93@life.ai.mit.edu>...
> On December 13, 1996, representatives from The National
> Information Infrastructure (NII) Task Force of The President's
> National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee
> (NSTAC) held a meeting at Steptoe & Johnson in Washington, D.C.
> to discuss industry interest in developing an industry-run
> Information Systems Security Board (ISSB).
>
> Stewart Baker of Steptoe & Johnson discussed the antitrust laws
> and their application to the meeting, with particular emphasis on
> the need to avoid discussion of competitive conditions and to show
> openness to all interested participants.

I would consider such a proposal from Suart Baker to involve an unfortunate conflict of interest. As one of the people who makes his living as a fixer enabling people to comply with the export control laws he does not have an interest in pressing for reform of the anti-crypto regulations that stop computer security sdystems being used.

He is like the owner of a NYC taxi medallion. His 'property' has no legitimate value but he has an interest to continue the legal distortions that keep it in place.

	Phill

Thread