1997-05-15 - Re: Difference in terms

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 069b0977b0619c2a90e41a099b70e56cd6af034a56978403db91f5b45e7faaf8
Message ID: <v03007802afa0f44544cb@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199705091300.OAA02217@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-15 16:33:43 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:33:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:33:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Difference in terms

At 10:43 PM -0800 5/14/97, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz@as-node.jena.thur.de>writes:
>>>   key recovery is if I can get my key
>>>   key escrow is if you can get my key
>
>"Key Escrow" was "We want your keys".
>"Software Key Escrow" was "OK, Clipper was a loser, but we want your keys"
>"Public Key Infrastructure" was "Here, have some keys"
>"Trusted Third Party" was "Hey, trust us, we want your keys"
>"Key Recovery" is "OK, that didn't work, but we still want your keys"

SAFE is "All Americans deserve strong security and unlimited strength
crypto, but we still want your keys."

"Pro-CODE is about the right to have and export military-grade crypto, but
we still want your keys."

Or as Congressman J. Getalong put it, "SAFE is a step toward a future of
security and prosperity. The legitimate needs of law enforcement are being
met by this bill. We are good listeners of the NSA, and the NSA is a good
listener to all of us. And I do mean all of us. All Americans will prosper
from this new working relationship with Big Brother. War is Peace and
SAFEty is liberty,"

--Emmanuel Goldstein