1997-05-19 - Re: referers and W3 (fwd)

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: hal@rain.org
Message Hash: 07ed401233ef26443e2401461884b61a4c845981983e47aeed85bd4b38f69b8c
Message ID: <199705190108.SAA12788@slack.lne.com>
Reply To: <199705182021.NAA04042@crypt.hfinney.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-19 01:22:13 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:22:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:22:13 +0800
To: hal@rain.org
Subject: Re: referers and W3 (fwd)

Hal Finney writes:

> I use Eric Murray's fine "cookie jar" privacy program when I am web
> browsing on my Linux system (http://www.lne.com/ericm/cookie_jar/).

Note that it'll work with a non-UNIX browser just fine.  You do need to
have access to a Unix host to run the cookie jar program itself, but you
can tell your Windoze browser to use cookie jar as a proxy.... I run my Mac's
browser through it.

> It blocks cookies and advertisements via a very flexible config file
> mechanism.  It also eliminates other privacy-revealing outgoing data,
> including Referer, and could be easily modified to play all kinds of
> games with Referer for the adventurous.

Sounds like an idea to go along with the User-Agent spoofing I added recently.

What would make sense to use, other than sending
"http://this/is/a/bogus/referrer/sent/to/mess/up/your/stats"?
How about sending the current URL as Referrer?

--
   Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com         Privacy through technology!
  Network security and encryption consulting.    PGP keyid:E03F65E5

Thread