1997-05-19 - RE: Jim Bell goes to Jail–We should avoid raidable, physical meeting

Header Data

From: Chris DiBona <dibona@acm.org>
To: “cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 0aca3c21a57e4af6aac132a3dfb7f538d3827c84cc9efcd02c9b2afc6cd8379a
Message ID: <01BC643D.699ED1D0@marmoset.loc201.tandem.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 01:37:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Chris DiBona <dibona@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 01:37:46 +0800
To: "cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Jim Bell goes to Jail--We should avoid raidable, physical meeting

<RANT>

I couldn't disagree with you more Tim.

If the FBI wants to come raid a Cypherpunk meeting and arrest me, they should be ready for a law suit that will make thier heads spin. I mean can you think of anything more protected by the first amendment than a bunch of hobbiest getting together to discuss math, for christs sakes? I know a couple of lawyers who would drool at the chance to defend someone who is lily white and is arrested for meeting and discussing prime numbers.

To suggest the cessation of meetings (no matter how worthless Dimitri) really seems to me to be counter to everything this group is about.

</RANT>

    Chris DiBona