1997-05-19 - RE: Jim Bell goes to Jail–We should avoid raidable, physicalmeeting

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: 0c1603c2478ce3c62f02a5f5cc501bff9ec87a28a7d035610415634ddd34fbde
Message ID: <v03007802afa652f5305e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <01BC643D.699ED1D0@marmoset.loc201.tandem.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-19 18:18:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 02:18:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 02:18:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: RE: Jim Bell goes to Jail--We should avoid raidable, physicalmeeting

At 9:14 AM -0800 5/19/97, Chris DiBona wrote:
><RANT>
>
>I couldn't disagree with you more Tim.
>
>If the FBI wants to come raid a Cypherpunk meeting and arrest me, they
>should be ready for a law suit that will make thier heads spin. I mean can
>you think of anything more protected by the first amendment than a bunch
>of hobbiest getting together to discuss math, for christs sakes? I know a
>couple of lawyers who would drool at the chance to defend someone who is
>lily white and is arrested for meeting and discussing prime numbers.
>
>To suggest the cessation of meetings (no matter how worthless Dimitri)
>really seems to me to be counter to everything this group is about.

Fine that you disagree. I think a lot of Feds would view a meeting of 40-50
people discussing assassination politics, violating U.S. export laws,
modifications of semi-automatic rifles to make them more effective in
counter-gov't-terrorism, etc, to be a "ripe target." Good for publicity on
the evening news.

(At the 20-30 meetings I have been at over the last almost 5 years, very
few of them have revolved around "discussing prime numbers.")

Whether it stands up in court depends on the charges. As for you being
willing to file a lawsuit that will make their heads spin, good for you.
But to win a lawsuit, one has to have a case. And the laws are written
broadly these days, and I doubt such a case would be won.

(Did anything ever come of the police actions at the "2600" meetings in
D.C. a few years back? I don't recall all of the details, but I gather the
cops either moved in and made arrests, or maybe just watched and took down
license plate numbers.)

By all means, have meetings. I just intend to be in places where I can have
defensive weapons at the ready (which has been at some Cypherpunks physical
meetings, of course).

--Tim May