1997-05-10 - Re: Wine Politics Again!

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Blanc <blancw@cnw.com>
Message Hash: 0f8540fcc551344f6eb72c282ae46043e68ce6211efda9b23ce072616abe13c7
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970510115710.1202B-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970510003251.006c7650@cnw.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-10 18:09:43 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 02:09:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 02:09:43 +0800
To: Blanc <blancw@cnw.com>
Subject: Re: Wine Politics Again!

> At 09:26 PM 5/9/97 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>
> >Every day that passes, I'm more convinced that McVeigh did the right thing.
> >Some innocents died, but, hey, war is hell. Broken eggs and all that.
>

> Timothy must be drunk; I can't believe he said this.   Because he wouldn't
> spend so much time writing sensible things of Truth & Light, if he thought
> the better thing to do for achieving libertarian values was to kill so
> indiscriminately with a bomb.    After all, he subscribes to utmost
> discrimination.   So I think right now he's less in the engagement of
> Reason and more under the influence of maybe some Bud Light.

I have to say I agree, I believe that violence is probably the only way
to proceed in order to defend ourselves against the criminals within
modern societies, however, I seperate this entirely from the action of
killing indiscriminately.

I have to say also that I believe that if one were to drop a fairly large
bomb on a major US city, say LA or NYC, the probable outcome would be
that 99% of the people killed would be corrupt scum anyway, in DC I would
imagine the figure would be approching 100%, however, this does not
absolve one from blame if, through some freak outcome, a small bomb of,
say, the Timothy McVeigh style happens to kill an innocent person, one is
still guilty of murder. Part of the reason I despise government so
greatly is because the poloticians justify their actions by reference to
"the greater good", ie. "If a few thousand innocent conscripted members of
the army get killed defending our society so be it."

In the end, it also comes down to what action you believe is justifiable
in the name of freedom, ie. When I say I believe 99% of people in sat NYC
are corrupt scum this is true, but to varying degrees, I would personally
say, as an estimate, only 3 to 5% of these people should be executed
for their crimes, the others are either corrupt morally on a small level,
or are just naive, eg. I believe people who vote in democratic elections
commit a crime against me by being part of the process which brings about
authoritarian government, even if they vote for a party that proposed to
rule according to libertarian values they still perpetuate a system where
the majority control the actions of the minority, however, I would not kill
these people, I believe they are simply ill educated and unable to comprehend
the wrong they do me.

The bottom line is, I disagree with what Tim said but I do sympathise
with the reasons why he said it.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org