1997-05-02 - High Ranking Reprsentative pulls support of SAFE…

Header Data

From: Jonah Seiger <jseiger@cdt.org>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 141af485f9d0822a83e4a6bb31cbeafc43b3a5eeca9f0729cd6b7633c00866b1
Message ID: <v03020911af8fcf53cb16@[207.226.3.4]>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 01:31:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Jonah Seiger <jseiger@cdt.org>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 01:31:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: High Ranking Reprsentative pulls support of SAFE...

Looks like the FBI and thier allies have been playing hardball, and have
managed to convince a high-ranking Republican member of Congress to buy
into their ani-cryto reform arguments.

Solomon is the Chairman of the House Rules Committee.

This fight just got a lot tougher.

Jonah

----
                             May 1, 1997

		      OPPOSE HR. 695 "SAFE ACT"

Dear Colleague:

Earlier this week, after meeting with officials from Defense and FBI, I
removed myself as a cosponsor of HR 695.  Allow me to explain some of their
concerns about this bill.

The Department of Defense believes that HR 695 would increase the export
threshold for encryption software to a level which would effectively remove
existing controls.  This would make unbreakable encryption technology
widely available and "have a negative impact on national security,
effective law enforcement and public safety".  The FBI opposes the bill
because, "It would be irresponsible for the U.S. to adopt a policy that
consciously unleashes widespread, unbreakable, non-key recovery encryption
products that undermine law enforcement in the United States and worldwide."

I also met with Ambassador Aaron (OECD), who pointed out that many of the
major industrial countries have already approved encryption safeguards and
the rest are waiting for the United States to act.  He believes HR 695
would send the worst possible signal to our allies.

Lastly, Assistant Attorney General Andrew Fois stated in a letter to
Chairman Coble, "... the bill would severely compromise law enforcement's
ability to protect the American people from the threats posed by
terrorists, organized crime, child pornographers, drug cartels, financial
predators, hostile foreign intelligence agents, and other criminals... It
is difficult enough to fight crime without making criminals' tasks any
easier."

In addition to the FBI and DOD the legislation is opposed by the Justice
Department, Central Intelligence,. the NSA, the National District
Attorney's Association, the International Association of Chiefs of Police
and the National Sherrif's Association.  Again, I would ask you to oppose
HR 695.

                                   Sincerely,

                                   [signed]

			           GERALD B. SOLOMON
                                   Member of Congress.

* Value Your Privacy? The Governmet Doesn't.  Say 'No' to Key Escrow! *
            Adopt Your Legislator -  http://www.crytpo.com/adopt

--
Jonah Seiger, Communications Director              (v) +1.202.637.9800
Center for Democracy and Technology              pager +1.202.859.2151

Thread