1997-05-22 - Re: attila the hun (was Re: Wine Politics Again!)

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1f30d998cda1248b0719c6c89093a75904f1345711bc3bbd8095c80596389fc8
Message ID: <19970521233436.44929@bywater.songbird.com>
Reply To: <199705212141.OAA14578@fat.doobie.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-22 08:00:22 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:00:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:00:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: attila the hun (was Re: Wine Politics Again!)

On Wed, May 21, 1997 at 02:41:57PM -0700, Huge Cajones Remailer wrote:
[...]
>   I don't have a problem with the opinions or points of view that
> Kent expresses on the cypherpunks list, but I do have a problem
> with the fact that his posts seem to reflect a pre-programmed
> world-view, with little thought given to the actual content and
> concepts expressed by those he is replying to.
>   I find Kent's posts to be much like the ASCII art that is posted
> to the list--each post is slightly different, but predictable. The
> aspersions that Kent casts on those such as Attila and Tim serve
> no purpose other than to accentuate the fact that he is envious
> of their propensity for dealing on a real-world level with the
> concepts he addresses from an intellectual ivory tower.

[...]
>    Kent's posts reflect, in my opinion, what he has "learned to
> believe." When I read Kent's posts, I don't feel like I learn
> who he is, but rather, I learn the "position" that he is taking
> on this or that point.
>    Real name/anonymity aside, I see Attila as real and Kent as a
> shadowy figure. My advice to Kent would be, "If you're going to
> be an asshole, at least be a _real_ asshole."

[...]

>   Once we form an "opinion" of _who_ somebody is and _what_they_
> believe_, and _who_they_are_, then we "interpret" what they
> have to say in their posts in accordance with our learned
> perception of them.

Boy, ain't that the truth.  Witness what you wrote above.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread