1997-05-25 - Re: Beware of encrypted processors bearing gifts…

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: Dave Emery <die@pig.die.com>
Message Hash: 29b49e1f4c88bb8e016b388739f7c77b3d9fc93738a828d5cc7794d4af1e5516
Message ID: <v03102801afad801a8ed0@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <199705250228.WAA28391@pig.die.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-25 06:31:01 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:31:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:31:01 +0800
To: Dave Emery <die@pig.die.com>
Subject: Re: Beware of encrypted processors bearing gifts...

The fly in this somewhat "paranoid" ointment is that if it were believeably
rumoured to be true it would set off a stampede to alternate platforms
(Alpha, Power PC, etc.), potentially destroying Intel.  I would not trust
such a platform, but many of the sheeple might until a few high-profile
cases surfaced.

>	I find the notion of an extremely wide deployment (as any Intel
>x86 product will be) of machines with processors that support encrypted
>instruction sets and associated smart cards deeply disquieting.
>
>	It seems to me that this is enabling technology that would allow
>the insertion of autonomous encrypted 'little brothers', into operating
>systems and perhaps major net applications such as web browsers as
>well..  These 'little brother' observers could be made completely opaque
>to even determined and sophisticated users - with encrypted code and the
>potential for encryption of all their data it would require breaking the
>encryption for an independant entity to understand what such an agent
>was doing and who it was doing it for.  And by making support of such
>agents part of the encrypted inner ring of an OS (Win99?), it might be
>very nearly impossible to run the OS without the agent or agents present
>and operating properly.   And as more and more PCs are net connected,
>such agents would not need to operate entirely autonomously, as they
>could communicate over encrypted links with their Big Brother somewhere
>else.

PGP mail preferred
Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Key available on BAL server, http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
First ECache Corporation  |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: azur@netcom.com

        I know not what instruments others may use,
         but as for me, give me Ecache or give me debt.

        SHOW ME THE DIGITS!

Thread