1997-05-10 - Re: key recovery vs data backup

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 37da6f2bfcbb9a37dabb230aa04f72d67c3c0f15a0db879f6a634df1eccef696
Message ID: <19970510122931.54997@bywater.songbird.com>
Reply To: <19970508192011.29178@bywater.songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-10 19:42:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 03:42:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 03:42:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: key recovery vs data backup

On Sat, May 10, 1997 at 07:19:40PM +0100, Adam Back wrote:

> Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com> writes:

> > Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem at all.  In fact it
> > doesn't even address the problem.  So much so that reading these
> > replies makes me think that I am looking at different problem than
> > you.
>
> It seems to me that it is you Kent who is scrambling to find plausible
> reasons why key escrow is the best or only technology to use in
> corporate email systems.

Not "best".  "Easiest".  Look at it this way, Adam -- if it was easy
to implement Carl's model, it would already have happened, given the
dislike of key-escrow in the cryptographic community.  But, when
examined in detail, in light of real requirements from organizations,
it is not easy at all.

I'm not "scrambling", Adam.  If there is anything you need to
understand here, it is that I am *not* in favor of GAK.  Chisel that
in stone and think about it a bit -- your misunderstanding of my
motives causes you to gloss over my arguments and not think about
them.  I am sympathetic to your concerns, and I am trying to explain
something I truly think people are missing.  Think of me as
intelligent, Adam, and I will do the same for you.

> > [long analogy to physical locks and keys on company premises]
> >
> > With this background, perhaps now you can see why I say that Carl's
> > solution doesn't even address the problem.  The problem is management
> > of complexity.  Carl says "encrypt to Acme Corp".  Who in Acme Corp?
> > What part of the organization that is Acme Corp is authorized to know
> > this particular bit of information?  Because some of the employees
> > are idiots you want this built automatically into the application
> > they are using for encryption/email/whatever.  How does this software
> > know what policy is appropriate for which employee?  How is that
> > policy distributed?  What is the interface that allows a policy to be
> > defined?   How do you protect the policy definition from subversion?
>
> Ah I see you do acknowledge what Carl Ellison and Matt Blaze have been
> saying on cryptography@c2, that key escrow has complexity problems,
> contrary to what you have previously been arguing :-)

You completely missed the point of the above paragraph -- all those
questions apply to the "encrypt to policy-specified local recipients"
model, and *don't* apply to the key-safe model.  The key-safe model
has no significant policy issues that need to be embedded in
software -- the only policy is "when data encryption keys are
generated a copy is sent to the key-safe (using an encrypted channel,
of course)."

> > Contrast that with a key-safe model, where a copy of every encryption
> > key is kept in a secure database.  The encryption client software only
> > talks to the key-safe when a new key is generated, over a
> > cryptographically secure channel, of course.  There is no policy the
> > client has to know.  The user encrypts freely without concern about
> > who else should get copies.  The organization knows that there is very
> > little chance of data loss because of lost keys, and can use any
> > policy it chooses to recover keys, from the company president's ad hoc
> > whim to a carefully specified organization al security policy.
> >
> > Access to the key-safe is critical, of course, but it can be made
> > very secure -- a special-purpose piece of hardware that requires
> > passwords from n out of m key czars before access is granted, for
> > example.  Or the contents of the key safe can be encrypted via keys
> > escrowed through a secret sharing mechanism
>
> I don't see the difference.  With the encrypt to multiple recipients
> approach where the second crypto-recipient is the company key you can
> store the private half of the corporate key using the same techniques
> you discussed above.
>
> Access to the data requires access to the master key in both cases.

It follows, therefore, that if the master key is compromised in both
systems, all data is compromised.  From that perspective, the systems
are equally secure.

> You fix the second crypto-recipient in the MUA if you wish to.

This is precisely the point I was alluding to in the policy discussion
above.  In an organizational content, *of course* you will put all the
complexity in the MUA.  The question is, how do you change the
"master key" indicator that is in each MUA?  Suppose that the
organization wants different keys for different departments -- how do
you keep track of which master key goes where?  How do all those
MUA's get their key policy module updated?

>  The
> fire-wall can reject posts without the second crypto-recipient.

How does the key policy module in the firewall get updated?

>  You
> can use binding cryptography to ensure the fire-wall can tell that it
> is an encrypted copy of the same document without the firewall needing
> access to the master key.  You can't do this company has all keys in
> the safe model, without givin the firewall automatic access to the
> safe, which is a huge security risk.

???
With the key-safe model the firewall never enters into the picture.

> So, I suppose you would argue that oh no, the user can by pass this
> feature of the MUA, they can use a different MUA, or telnet to the
> SMTP port manually.

No, I wouldn't argue that -- I know perfectly well that that neither
model does any good at all against a determined, competent insider.

[...]

> The advantage of the multiple recipient model is that doesn't commit
> the cardinal sin/design flaw of sharing private crypto keys.

Two things:  First, any crypto system that doesn't deal with
protection/recovery/secure-use of private keys is incomplete.

Second, keep in mind that we are talking about encryption for an
*organization's* purposes.  The whole meaning of "private" is altered
in that context.

> Some people have argued that multiple recipient is less suited to GAK,
> and therefore it would be better to use multiple recipient, I'm not
> sure that it makes that much difference.  If we get forced to put the
> government as the second crypto-recipient recipient, the government
> still gets to read all your mail.
>
> The main argument against company generates all keys, company holds
> all keys, to me is that it's bad crypto design.

You say "tumato"...

> The `it's easier to explain a safe full of all employee keys' to
> management argument is nonsense also.  It's a master key either way
> and just as easy to explain either way: a master key is a key that
> lets you decrypt all mail.

At that level of generality both these systems are identical, and
equally easy to explain.  It's when you get down to the details that
things become more interesting.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread