1997-05-19 - Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Message Hash: 3953abcf85e73623147df76301c4ed65f085ced5ef1044e373d9e8b8ad20db54
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970518211245.00ac1200@mail.teleport.com>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970518195535.00af3100@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-19 04:26:38 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:26:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:26:38 +0800
To: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Subject: Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

At 08:41 PM 5/18/97 -0700, Mike Duvos wrote:
>Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com> writes:

Actually I was quoting from the Oregonian, the local fishwrap.

> > IRS agents arrest Vancouver man who called for killing
> > federal workers
>
>As I recall, Bell never called for anyone to be killed. He merely
>suggested that the construction of anonymous wagering pools would
>faciliate a market in the disposal of tyrants.

Some of his statements could have been taken as advocating the killing of
federal employees of various sorts.  The question is whether he actually
tried
to arrange it in real life.  (Which I doubt.)

> > Federal agents since have focused on a Bell theory that
> > carbon fibers could be used to sabotage computer hard
> > drives, thus disabling them.  East confirmed Bell's interest
> > in using carbon fibers as a "computer killer" but dismissed
> > it as a "goofball idea."
>
>I thought microscopic amounts of airborne silicone were the
>preferred method of causing large numbers of drives to
>mysteriously fail.

I found that part quite interesting.  I remember Jim going off about this
(without refering to any specific method) at the first Portland Cypherpunk
meeting.  He got pretty pissed when I mentioned it on the list.  (As well as
my post that I thought he was a loon.)  Interesting to see that there is an
actual method mentioned.  (And that his friend also thought it was kind of
nutty...)

>I can't imagine how one would get the carbon fiber into the
>interior of the drive.

Neither can I.  Maybe it was supposed to short out the electronics.  Imagine
what that would do to your lungs!  Youch!

> > The search warrant for East's home shows that the
> > government also is interested in determining whether Bell
> > and others have experimented with volatile chemicals in
> > preparation for attacks on IRS offices and agents.
>
>The government is only lending credibility to Bell's paranoia by
>behaving like jackbooted thugs.

It is interesting that they have kept the warrent sealed.  This, more than
anything makes me question the legitamacy of the whole affair.  Sounds like
the IRS is planning a preemptive strike on the Common Law Courts and the
people behind them.

>Is this federal agent Bell is supposed to have interfered with
>one of the agents who arrested him?  Sounds like fabrication from
>whole cloth to me.

That is not explained.  I think it was an excuse to arrest him without having
to reveal the real reasons.  Be interesting to see what they accuse him of
later...

The IRS seems to have overstepped a little in this case...  The sealed
warrents are an attempt to keep it from being examined in more detail.

---
|     "Bill Clinton - Bringing back the sixties one Nixon at a time."    |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread