1997-05-23 - Bell Jars and Jarheads

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3ae604f6ebe3294c3b41152ed4f0396860ca9d0ce0ce18eef37a95c0033a0fd4
Message ID: <v03102804afab9274435b@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970522204359.00b37cc0@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-23 18:57:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 02:57:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 02:57:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Bell Jars and Jarheads

At 7:43 PM +0200 5/23/97, Anonymous wrote:
>>>I guess the only *real* solution is to get rid of the thugs.
>>
>>Possibly the real solution is not to do stupid things.
>

>The "Rodney King" effect here is amazing.  Jim Bell was not quite a model
>citizen.  I don't think most of us would consider stinkbombing office
>buildings normal behavior.  But that was 13 years ago, and compared to
>what the feds did to him, Jim Bell comes out looking like an angel.  All
>things are relative.

The stink bomb charge that would stick would be the March 17th event, if
this is proven to be Bell's doing.

I would've thought this would be "malicious mischief," at most. People
who've done far, far, far worse are left unprosecuted in every major
jurisdiction in this country. The  meat thrown to the media--the usual AP
stuff, mixed in with "radical libertarian" descriptions--is just to make
the case more media-interesting.

>PS  For the benefit of our non-technical readers, a bell jar is a glass
>dome used in vacuum experiments.  AFAIK, you can't make a stink bomb in
>one. :)

Huh? Bell jars, to be pedantic, don't have to involve vacuums, obviously.
And a stink bomb could certain fill even a vacuum jar. (Maybe the stink
would not be smelled, a la Bishop Berkeley, though...)

In any case, more of an allusion. Perhaps even to Plath. Or to the Marines,
aka Jarheads. Or to Bell's Theorem. Or to....

--Tim May