1997-05-09 - Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

Header Data

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Message Hash: 3be570519c44b2adbc05039c027c035bbcec0e0101e508ae7f75740881ce19bc
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970508230144.00947a40@gateway.grumman.com>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970508203058.0099c100@gateway.grumman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-09 03:13:27 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 11:13:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 11:13:27 +0800
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Subject: Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

Dimitri Vulis wrote:
>Perhaps an activex program for w95 :-)

If I hadn't sworn to take my own life before I touched ActiveX, then I
might have considered that course of action.  :)  Instead, I'll leave it as
an exercise for the reader.

>I suggest you learn to filter your e-mail.

Actually, this account has adequate filters.  Unfortunately, my employer
chooses to use Exchange for mail, which has less than astonishing filtering
capability.  But I appreciate the inference as to my (lack of)
intelligence.  ;)

>You could also try an html form whose actions send mailto:your@enemy

Wouldn't work with all browsers, and can't get more than one at a time.

>He'll just filter out your site.

Which is why I originally suggested bypassing the normal sendmail route and
using straight sockets.  If he blocks my script from connecting directly to
his smtpd then I use a random smtpd somewhere as a go-between, routing it
to his smtpd.  He can't (won't) block them all.  Also, this is why I
recommended making the script small and portable: *anyone* could put it up
on their site.  He can't block everyone.

_________ o s b o r n e @ g a t e w a y . g r u m m a n . c o m _________
A system without PERL is like a hockey game without a fight.

Thread