1997-05-04 - Re: digital cc transactions, digital checks vs real digital cash

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 43927bd039121b04a5f100b1af0e24d9c9b92adbcc172eb15f37eccc632bdc46
Message ID: <v03007800af92941551bd@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03007808af9094d14286@[207.94.249.180]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-04 18:53:42 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 02:53:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 02:53:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: digital cc transactions, digital checks vs real digital cash

At 11:08 AM -0800 5/3/97, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>At 3:10 am -0400 on 5/3/97, Bill Frantz wrote:

>> Carlsen Subaru in Palo Alto has signs in their sales offices notifying
>> people that their agreement with their bank prevents them from taking
>> credit cards in payment for cars.
>
>Hmmm. The operative concept in my paragraph was "peer-to-peer". I should
>have put "personally" in the last sentence, in between "you" and "sold",
>and it would have been much clearer.
>
>By the way, back when I was pond scum in Morgan Stanley's cage in Chicago,
>American Express Gold Cards had just come out. About the first month they
>were out, a commodities trader showed up at a local Rolls dealership and
>offered to pay for a brand new Corniche with one.
>
>The sales manager smiled, said "Yes sir", went to the phone, called Amex,
>and took the card.
>
>Probably apocryphal, but, hey, it's a great story.

I'm sure things like this happen every day.

As I mentioned just several days ago, I bought a Ford Explorer a few years
ago and put it on my VISA card. A Corniche costs a few times more, but the
principle is the same.

How large a purchase a user can put on his card depends on two things: his
credit line (and/or issuer policy) and of course the policies of the other
party. For some, their limit is $500, maybe even less. For others, like
"Gold" or "Platinum" or "Plutonium" card holders, the numbers are much
higher.

In my case, I can spend up to my maximum margin account borrowing level,
currently at about 50% of the value of my margin account (my stocks,
investments, etc.).

So, I could use my VISA card to buy a geodesic dome in this geodesic
economy. Not that I'd want to.

--Tim May