1997-05-19 - Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 44126f1bb8e1912ccb93ed462eceef3a2c292a2358ece12f5df313830fdeca5a
Message ID: <19970519002811.31774@bywater.songbird.com>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970519001431.007548dc@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-19 07:43:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:43:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:43:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

On Mon, May 19, 1997 at 12:14:37AM -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
> At 10:28 PM 5/18/97 -0700, Alan Olsen wrote:
> >(There are also a number
> >of
> >psychological studies that show that people will do all sorts of horrific
> >things to their fellow man when someone in authority tells them to.  If they
> >are led to believe that they are "bad" in some way, many will enjoy it.)
>
> Right. I read a book on that. I think it was called "The Millgram
> Experiment". Normal people would administer (fake, but they didn't know it)
> electroshocks to a subject even after the subject had stopped moving and
> could have been assumed to be unconscious or even dead. An excellent
> demonstration of the power of authority. And the gullibility of the average
> person.

Present company excepted?  Of course, studies have shown a majority
of Americans think they are better than average drivers...

The most important lesson of that study is that in this regard we
*all* are average persons.  There isn't any magic pill, or personality
trait, or belief system, or special knowledge, that makes us immune to
manipulation.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread