1997-05-14 - Re: “The policeman inside”

Header Data

From: “Ross Wright” <rwright@adnetsol.com>
To: tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 46f21b64d7c096e3600c50e5422aa801d151c8edfea43eeeae6caec98df46bf3
Message ID: <199705140042.RAA21706@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:20:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "Ross Wright" <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:20:21 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: "The policeman inside"

On or About 13 May 97 at 9:19, Tim May wrote:

> As ur-cyberpunk Burroughs noted, we must beware "the policeman
> inside."
>
> Authorities _want_ people to "police themselves," to think twice
> before speaking freely, to limit the topic of their conversations,
> and to generally fear the knock on the door late at night (or, in
> fin de siecle Amerika, the suddent appearance of black-clad ninja in
> one's bedroom at 4 a.m., shooting anything that moves).

Hey, that shit scares me, too.  BUT:

> Bomb-making information is protected by the First Amendment. Period.

Correct.  It's using that technology that's the crime, in most cases.

> So is crypto information. So is saying Congressmen are vermin who
> need to be taken out and shot.

I think you can say "taken out and Spanked Naked In The Streets" I
don't think you can advocate shooting them...  Correct me if I'm
wrong.

> Get this straight, people!

The  First Amendment *IS* still in force.

> (Now whether such opinions are to one's taste, or whether the
> Cypherpunks list is a reasonable forum for posting bomb-making
> plans...well, that's a completely different issue, one of taste and
> appropriateness,

First Amendment issues are *on topic*.

> than the calls by Declan and Ray that such messages
> are dangerous and could invite retaliation by the Authorities. If
> that's indeed the case, then by all means we should be posting
> bomb-making instructions and calls for treason trials with street
> justice.)

Hey, *They* read this list anyways.  Fuck *Them* Hard.

> Beware the policeman inside.

Fuck the FBI, Fuck the CIA.  Fuck 'em all.  Now that's freedom!  God,
I love America!

Ross Wright
King Media: Bulk Sales of Software Media and Duplication Services
http://www.slip.net/~cdr/kingmedia
Voice: (408) 259-2795

Thread