1997-05-05 - Re: Full Strength Stronghold 2.0 Released Worldwide

Header Data

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4be6357f283589cc8fdea4a5feb2c5fd3c3b74962be527181298c2086ff052cf
Message ID: <199705050515.XAA01193@wombat.sk.sympatico.ca>
Raw Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 13:48:27 +0800

Raw message

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 13:48:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Full Strength Stronghold 2.0 Released Worldwide

Tom Weinstein wrote on cryptography@c2.net:

{With Perry dripping Sameer's sperm from his mouth as his
C2Nut Jackboots soiled the message with the following:}
 [I felt I had to let this go through, but I would advise that those
 involved restrict themselves to calmer comments from here on...
--perry]

> sameer wrote:
> >
> > In a recent announcement, Netscape Communications announced plans to
> > include government back doors in their products. "By implementing this
> > so-called 'key recovery', Netscape is getting a small increase in key
> > length in exchange for putting your keys in the hands of the
> > government," said Parekh. "This the same government that hired Aldrich
> > Ames, the same goverment that has IRS employees surfing taxpayer
> > databases at will. What do you think is going to happen to your keys?"
>
> This is utter crap, and I'm sure you know it.  All we're going to do is
> provide an OPTIONAL (and I mean really optional, not the way the feds
> use it) way for administrators to recover private keys.  This is not
> GAK.  I will never work on a product that includes GAK.
>
> Oh, but I guess saying that Netscape is responding to customer
> requirements by including support for corporate key recovery wouldn't
> make such good press release spam.

  Crap seems to be such a violent, obscene word when used to
describe C2Nut's bullshit. Good thing that the cryptography list
has Perry to protect the list subscribers from StrangleHold's
competition defending themselves from Sameer's self-serving
denigration of their products.

  Too bad C2Nut doesn't have a StrangleHold on the cypherpunks
list, as well. Then they could use censorship threats to make
us all be good little boys and girls, too.
  I expect all PR statements to have a modicum of bullshit in
them and I resent any lame-fuck-would-be-Hitler trying to put
a lid on the response to that bullshit.

  The fact that StrangleHold seems to have so many things to
hide and such a strong need to control discussion of its product
indicates to me that perhaps their product cannot stand up to
the light of public scrutiny and criticsm.
  C2Nut's bottle-fed cryptography list may be fine for those who
are afraid to know too much about StrangleHold, but anyone who
owns a wetsuit needs to subscribe to the cypherpunks list for
the good, old-fashioned pissing contests that send the pretenders
home with their tails between their legs.
  (Anyone hear from DataERetch lately?)

PissMonger

Thread