1997-05-02 - Re: SAFE Bill is a Good Thing–“Crypto For The Masses”

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: Alan Davidson <abd@cdt.org>
Message Hash: 53fd17f90cfd56a1f45043e792c0727986765e1304e76ead3025be2aa44127e8
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9705011820.A27450-0100000@netcom19>
Reply To: <v03020900af8e47bb1440@[207.226.3.11]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-02 02:54:02 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:54:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:54:02 +0800
To: Alan Davidson <abd@cdt.org>
Subject: Re: SAFE Bill is a Good Thing--"Crypto For The Masses"

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Alan Davidson wrote:

> Contrary to reports, the SAFE bill does not say: "Use a cipher, go to
> prison."  It does say: "Use cryptography TO COMMIT A CRIME, go to prison":
>
>    2805. Unlawful use of encryption in furtherance of a criminal act
>
>    	"Any person who willfully uses encryption in furtherance
> 	of the commission of a criminal offense for which the
> 	person may be prosecuted in a court of competent jurisdiction...
> 	[may be imprisoned or fined]"

What the bill punishes with five years in prison is the use of encryption
in FURTHERANCE of a crime.

I will demonstrate at the next SF Bay Area Cypherpunks meeting on Saturday
May 10, 1997 the use of encryption in furtherance of a crime using only
three mouse clicks and three keystrokes. No custom scripts, macros, etc.
involved. In fact, I will gladly perform the demonstration on a computer
provided by the audience.

That's right folks! Three mouse clicks and three keystrokes will buy you
*five* years in the federal penitentiary should SAFE become law as
currently written.

[Since this is a controlled demo, no actual crimes will be committed. Do
not try this at home! You will be breaking the law.]
--Lucky

Thread