1997-05-02 - Re: SAFE Bill discussion

Header Data

From: “Shabbir J. Safdar” <shabbir@vtw.org>
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Message Hash: 6ab35dc0542dca714ad1f553c90a93bb6f815a92b324a5ca5696bf2d5e9a14ab
Message ID: <v03007838af8f63b734a5@[166.84.253.73]>
Reply To: <v0300782faf8eae00618f@[166.84.253.73]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-02 14:04:11 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:04:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "Shabbir J. Safdar" <shabbir@vtw.org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:04:11 +0800
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Subject: Re: SAFE Bill discussion

Ah, so here is the source of all the conspiracy theories:

At 1:14 AM -0700 5/2/97, Greg Broiles wrote:
>At 09:12 PM 5/1/97 -0400, Shabbir J. Safdar wrote:
>
>>I'm also puzzled by the fact that CDT is being criticized pretty much
>>solely, even though the entire Internet Privacy Coalition, and several
>>other groups all wrote a letter of support of the bill with only a
>>criticism of one provision.
>
>I think this is occurring for two reasons:
>2.	It strikes me as unlikely that all of the groups mentioned really sat
>down and hashed all of this out - my hunch is that one or two of the groups
>wrote up an analysis and a proposed letter, and asked the other groups to
>sign on. A likely suspect for the/a group who did the behind-the-scenes
>work is CDT.

The Internet Privacy Coalition letter, which said, (paraphrased) "we support
this bill but have concerns over the criminal provision" was coordinated by
EPIC, not CDT.  Hey, if you don't believe me, here's an excerpt from Audrie
Krause's NetAction notes (see http://www.netaction.org/)

  Earlier this week, EPIC staffers again sent out an E-mail alert, this time
  to members of the Internet Privacy Coalition requesting their signature on a
  letter to Rep. Robert Goodlatte (R-VA) [..]

  Again within a matter of days, EPIC was able to deliver a letter signed by
  25 organizations, including NetAction.  The letter is on the Web, at:
  <http://www.privacy.org/ipc/safe_letter.html>.

If you don't believe EPIC coordinated this letter, give Marc Rotenberg a
call at 202-544-9240. He's the one who called VTW to sign on, and when I
called him back to say thank you for distributing the letter, I asked him
to signon VTW.  Of course, the ACLU also signed the letter, saying they
support the bill but have concerns over the criminal provision.  You can
call them here in New York at 212-982-9800 (I think).  Barry signed the
letter, ask him.

By attacking the supporters of the bill, you're attacking CDT, the ACLU,
EPIC, VTW, EFF, Eagle Forum, Americans for Tax Reform, and PGP Inc.  You're
saying that all the Internet advocates have turned against crypto?

I don't think so.  I think you're sense of perspective is out of whack.

-S

Thread