1997-05-19 - Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 74120d4d3d1cc37d56abb51450aefeda423d2474d11e369f02082e29dc62ba50
Message ID: <Pwoy7D1w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199705191512.IAA21302@netcom21.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-19 23:59:18 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:59:18 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:59:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos) writes:

> Lucky Green writes:
>
> : Right. I read a book on that. I think it was called "The Millgram
> : Experiment". Normal people would administer (fake, but they didn't know
> : it) electroshocks to a subject even after the subject had stopped moving
> : and could have been assumed to be unconscious or even dead. An excellent
> : demonstration of the power of authority. And the gullibility of the
> : average person.
>
> Stanley Millgram did quite a few experiments along such lines.  His
> conclusion after persuading quite ordinary people to administer what
> seemed to be fatal electric shocks to a subject, pressured only by the
> orders of an authority figure saying "The experiment must continue"  and
> other such phrases, was that should the United States wish to set up a
> system of Nazi style death camps, personnel to staff them could be taken
> from the population of any average midwestern town.
>
> He also did another interesting experiment called "prisoners and guards"
> in which he selected people at random and dressed them up in the
> appropriate uniforms.  The guards happily abused the prisoners, falling
> into the appropriate roles almost automatically.
>
> Of course, such psychological experiments are banned today, because they
> don't make it through the ethics committees.  Nonetheless they demonstrate
> that there are few differences between "us" and "them," and that most
> ordinary people will rise to the occasion when given a new pair of
> jackboots.

I recently came across a very similar incident on the Usenet newsgroup
alt.smokers.cigars.  (Disclaimer: I don't smoke, at least not cigars.)

In a nutshell, some business person came across this (pretty active)
newsgroup (he was not around when it was newgrouped and became pretty
active), declared it its property, and began to retromoderate it (i.e.
forge cancels for any traffic he didn't like).  He kept claiming that
he is some kind of "Usenet Administrator with Full Access". A couple
of searches in DejaNews will turn up plenty of amazing responses from
the regulars in the newsgroups bending over and baaing, "We're not
questioing Bob's authority as a Usenet Administrator, nor the way he
chooses to fuck us over..." Recommended reading.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM