1997-05-21 - Re: Why I think Jim Bell is getting railroaded

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Alan Olsen <cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: 7e57f94b5e2d7a64d8d42eebce34e5ecacbe0d5e40c414dc23526684e2e042ca
Message ID: <v03007800afa8416c9d32@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970520212520.00afa470@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-21 05:31:10 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:31:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:31:10 +0800
To: Alan Olsen <cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: Re: Why I think Jim Bell is getting railroaded

At 8:25 PM -0800 5/20/97, Alan Olsen wrote:

>I think that the Government is trying to make an example of Mr. Bell.  I
>think
>that much of the charges reported in the news are flase.

Yes, it appears the fuckers are ignoring the lack of any significant
criminality (no bombs, no water poisoned, nobody murdered, no buildings
blown up, and no national capitals extinguished) and are throwing him to
the wolves.

They know that civil rights groups won't touch Bell with a 30-foot pole,
because of his advocacy of murder as a solution to the Problem, and because
he is not a good "poster boy" for a long public trial over free speech
issues.

And they probably have a pretty good case, given the American judicial system.

>Here is why...
>
>1) They claim that Jim was actively trying to disrupt 911 service and poison
>the Bull Run water supply.  These are non-political targets.  Jim only thinks
>in political targets.  (I remember trying to get him to come to grips with
>the
>idea that such a system as AP would not be used just for government types.
>That is would be used against anyone who had enemies.  Could not even make a
>dent...)

Exactly. This just doesn't compute. Bell never talked about poisoning water
supplies, in connection with his theories. (I don't deny that he might not
have speculated with his friends about how easy it might be to do X, or Y,
or Z. We all do such things, and this is the nature of any inquisitive
mind. But it ain't a crime, folks.)

>2) The warrent is sealed, yet the media is reporting all sorts of things
>about
>the case.  Where is the information coming from?  Sounds like planted
>information to keep people from complaining too much when they send him up
>the
>river for a few years...  (Whether he survives long in custody is another
>story.  I would be willing to bet that if he does not "cooperate" that he
>will
>have some sort of "accident" while in government hands.)

Actually, in most cases like this the "perp" is found to have hanged himself.

I never met Bell, but I sure hope this doesn't happen to him.

>3) The suspected crimes list keeps changing.  How many times has the
>"official" story changed?  Each time it gets more and more lurid.  (And many
>of the crimes are ones that get used against damn near every case the
>government tries against someone who threatens the security of the state.
>Belief starts to wear a bit thin after a while...)

The cops are clearly working with the media whores--that guy Painter is an
example--and are "tuning" their story to maximize the PR value.

It's the American Way.

--Tim May