1997-05-13 - Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 7f49835cde2e4c888ac844ef8defa489960ff9c60e05f5c9d1160afe1c3bc312
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.970513184927.5776Y-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <v03007800af99ae300ca9@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-13 23:06:39 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 07:06:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 07:06:39 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Tim May wrote:

> Much as it pains me to dispute my usual ideological ally Ray A., the "they
> should honor your request" is problematic.

To elaborate:

Point is that in every one of their posts that I've gotten they have a
"send email to this address with subject cancel" only it doesn't do
shit.   They place something that makes it look like they will not spam
you if you ask them not to, but they do anyway.

> Indeed, saying you don't "want" more advertisements is, for all practical
> purposes, saying "Send me more!!!!"
>
> So?

Yeah, they use the "cancel" messages to send you more spam instead of
shutting off all spam.  This is called false advertising, no?

If you want to take it further in to the land of the creatures of theory,
who owns your email?  Do you?  If so, by right of ownership can you
decide who isn't to send you email?  You can certainly achieve this by
filters.  If the spamming scum says "I will stop if you ask me to" and
you ask him to stop, but he doesn't, what rights have you got against
him?  What if he is using your email for commercial purposes without your
consent? etc.....

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "So make a move and plead the fifth,   |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|  'cause you can't pleade the first!"   |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....

Thread