1997-05-05 - Re: Full Strength Stronghold 2.0 Released Worldwide

Header Data

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
To: sameer <sameer@c2.net>
Message Hash: 873cd9f9b9edad8d50f0877368096894f79a7565ff1d1bce4574bdc1220b4ff3
Message ID: <336D524B.167E@netscape.com>
Reply To: <199705041637.JAA10872@gabber.c2.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-05 09:14:14 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:14:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:14:14 +0800
To: sameer <sameer@c2.net>
Subject: Re: Full Strength Stronghold 2.0 Released Worldwide

sameer wrote:

> In a recent announcement, Netscape Communications announced plans to
> include government back doors in their products. "By implementing this
> so-called 'key recovery', Netscape is getting a small increase in key
> length in exchange for putting your keys in the hands of the
> government," said Parekh. "This the same government that hired Aldrich
> Ames, the same goverment that has IRS employees surfing taxpayer
> databases at will. What do you think is going to happen to your keys?"

This is utter crap, and I'm sure you know it.  All we're going to do is
provide an OPTIONAL (and I mean really optional, not the way the feds
use it) way for administrators to recover private keys.  This is not
GAK.  I will never work on a product that includes GAK.

Oh, but I guess saying that Netscape is responding to customer
requirements by including support for corporate key recovery wouldn't
make such good press release spam.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com

Thread