1997-05-20 - Re: CFV: moderate sci.cryonics – CENSORING antispammers

Header Data

From: “Igor Chudov @ home” <ichudov@algebra.com>
To: cypherpunks@manifold.algebra.com
Message Hash: 8c8f31e96d129e7db656c818fc217d8c15f41e3abb6e0efe8c56051ca9c1cbcd
Message ID: <199705200204.VAA05717@manifold.algebra.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:18:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Igor Chudov @ home" <ichudov@algebra.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:18:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@manifold.algebra.com
Subject: Re: CFV: moderate sci.cryonics -- CENSORING antispammers

Jay Denebeim (denebeim@deepthot.cary.nc.us) wrote
* Igor Chudov @ home <ichudov@algebra.com> wrote:
*
* > Charles, sci.cryonics may well be in need of moderation. The
* > proponent may also be a great person. I also have deep respect for
* > you personally.  But the provision in the charter that does not
* > allow postings without a replyable sender address is rather
* > unfortunate. I would certainly vote yes if that particular provision
* > was removed. Otherwise, I find it unacceptable for myself to vote
* > YES.
*
* Why is that Igor?  There's been very little, if any, spam generated to
* rastb5m users, and that provision has been in place since before
* anti-spam forgeries were in vogue.  If spammers arn't mining a TV
* group, they certainly wouldn't be mining a sci group.

I see your point, Jay. What you are suggesting, probably not without
reason, is that the spam volume is not expected to be huge.

I may agree to that. The problem with this argument is that

1) No matter how much spam they get, posters have a legitimate
reason to protect themselves

2) Typically, altering the reply address is done before
the newsreader is even started, changing it for only one censorous
newsgroup is a royal pain in the back

3) People should have freedom to post anonymously, especially on
such sensitive topic as cryonics

4) Anonymity is NOT a threat to moderated newsgroups

Considering all that, I do not consider the proposed charter to be
acceptable.

(see http://xp5.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?recnum=5944883&server=db97p2x&CONTEXT=864091788.16601&hitnum=11

Thread