1997-05-16 - [Fwd: ITAR / S 1726 / Civil Disobedience]

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: gomez@BASISinc.com
Message Hash: 8de39be91af1afc5e089a176d0490b2b317c2eb3a6407fb0921e6e9ee404633b
Message ID: <337C3D50.1B50@sk.sympatico.ca>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 04:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 04:10:33 -0700 (PDT)
To: gomez@BASISinc.com
Subject: [Fwd: ITAR / S 1726 / Civil Disobedience]

Toto
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/xenix/
"WebWorld & the Mythical Circle of Eunuchs"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/webworld
"The Final Frontier"
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/carljohn/

To: president@whitehouse.gov, toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Subject: ITAR / S 1726 / Civil Disobedience
From: "C.J. Parker" <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri May 16  5:42:13 1997

Dear Mr. President,

   I am writing to express my disapproval of the Clinton Administration's
position on the ITAR restrictions for encryption software.  This is an
important issue to me.

  1) Software is writing, so it is protected by the first amendment,
     so the ITAR is unconstitutional.  The idea that only paper books
     are first amendment protected, and electronic books are not, is just
     plain wrong.

  2) The ITAR does not help National Security, but in fact greatly reduces
     our nations security because the Internet, and the computers and
     information connected to it, are kept from using good Encryption.

  3) I feel that encryption is very important for doing commerce on the
     Internet, and that commerce on the Internet is important for our
     economy (Internet is the fastest growing sizable segment).  You say
     you like the "Information Super Highway" and you are "going to focus
     on the economy like a laser".  You should be removing the ITAR
     restrictions on American businesses.  Otherwise the business for
     commerce software will go to companies in other countries.

  4) The Clinton Clipper III proposal to have government key escrow
     is not acceptable.  Also, it will never work, since people will
     always be able to buy and use software from the rest of the world.
     This proposal is just slowing down Internet progress.  Please
     cancel Clipper III.

  5) Please support Senator Burns Pro-CODE bill S 1726 that would end
     this foolishness.

     Or better yet, just take software off the list of "munitions".
     The current law, (see http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/22/2778.html),
     says that "The President shall periodically review the items on
     the United States Munitions List to determine what items, if any,
     no longer warrant export controls under this section.  The results
     of such reviews shall be reported to the Speaker of the House [...]
     at least 30 days before any item is removed from the Munitions
     List [...]."

  5) As an act of civil disobedience I have personally exported an
     encryption program (it is 3 lines of writing) using the web page at
     http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/

Yours sincerely,

     C.J. Parker
     toto@sk.sympatico.ca

Sent from host lohner20.sk.sympatico.ca with IP 142.165.98.20

Thread