1997-05-11 - hacking the media (was Re: Wine Politics Again! (fwd))

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: alan@ctrl-alt-del.com
Message Hash: 8f1e2184e340b48a789bd5dd97796fbe1c59c4d53a6a570e2ab448b3815b4cbe
Message ID: <199705111715.SAA01705@server.test.net>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970510222708.00a78c80@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-11 17:31:44 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 01:31:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 01:31:44 +0800
To: alan@ctrl-alt-del.com
Subject: hacking the media (was Re: Wine Politics Again! (fwd))

Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com> writes:
> At 04:07 AM 5/11/97 +0200, A. Michael Froomkin wrote:
>
> >It ill behooves participants in a democracy to either advocate or even
> >tolerate or even cluck sympathetically at mass murder for political ends.
> >This way lies Bosnia.
>
> I suggest making them look like fools.  It allows public opinion to turn
> against the fascists without them having murder or mayhem as a scapegoat.
> There is nothing the greyfaces hate more than laughter.
>
> Now is the time to hack the media.

Ideas?

Maybe mirror some information which they won't like and laugh at them
when they fail to take it down?

Hack their web pages?  Socially engineer a change to their NIC info
(as Susan Thunder did to `takedown.com' which was about `taking down'
Mitnick.  She talked internic into changing it to takendown.com.  Heh
heh.)  Hack the DNS server entries for their web pages, so it'll take
them to recover.

Eavesdrop on their cell phones and post the audio files?

Post their credit ratings, bank balances, all the personal info a PI
or hacker can get?

Set them up and tape what they think is a corrupt deal with a kick
back for them going down?

Plant a bug on a politician leave it going for a few weeks and post
the findings?

May be we can start a pool to reward the hacker who gets dirt on them
which shows them for what they are, if the poetic justice of it isn't
enough incentive.  Hire a good PI.

Put all this info on the web and laugh when they fail to take it down.
(Hint: eternity).

Adam