1997-05-22 - Re: Spam IS Free Speech

Header Data

From: “Willaim H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: Mark Grant <mark@unicorn.com>
Message Hash: 910b4f5212e6d13c9b9dd79514d0cf173d5fb655058aa4e98343ff4bdf048cde
Message ID: <199705221224.HAA12708@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.96.970522041838.26834D-100000@sirius.infonex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-22 12:38:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 20:38:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "Willaim H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 20:38:59 +0800
To: Mark Grant <mark@unicorn.com>
Subject: Re: Spam IS Free Speech

In <Pine.SOL.3.96.970522041838.26834D-100000@sirius.infonex.com>, on
05/22/97
   at 05:27 AM, Mark Grant <mark@unicorn.com> said:

>> Spam is interfering with the *real* victim's (the sendmail operator's)
>> ability to provide customer service; in a very real and fiscally
>> damaging way.

>It's worse than that; some asshole has just sent out a spam with a forged
>return address at $$$$@unicorn.com. There is absolutely nothing I can do
>to stop people sending such forgeries, yet my mailbox is about to explode
>with megabytes of complaints and mailbombs. I hate to think what kind of
>mess I'll have to deal with when I get back from my holiday next week.

>Anyone know how to track down the owner of 1-800-322-6169 EXT 2561, the
>only contact information in the spam? I'm not in the US so I can't call
>them to complain. Is there any way I and the spammees could take legal
>action against them without spending vast amounts of money?

>	Mark

>P.S. Privtool 0.90 is just out at utopia.hacktic.nl; I'll send a proper
>announcement soon. Privtool is a PGP-aware mail program for X-windows,
>see details at http://www.unicorn.com/privtool/privtool.html.

Well this seems to be some MLM scam, get rich quick scheme. The number
dumps you into a prerecorded voice message for the Global Prosparity Group
(I doubt that it is a registered name). You may be able to get more
information calling 1-618-692-3972. It seems to be a number for the
company that owns the 1-800 number and manages the mailboxes for the other
companies.

I don't know what action if any you could do against this scumbag that
would be worth the expence. I would contact whoever he is using as a mail
gateway for his crap and see what if anything they are willing to do about
this.

Hope this helps,

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

Thread