1997-05-31 - Re: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: 95da7062100d5db4761eada6e92c3c9d7eefde5e1c8fdf56cfc58e77bf0592ca
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970531140858.21537A-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <y0uk8D53w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-31 18:33:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 02:33:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 02:33:37 +0800
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> Of course, the "anti-spamming" laws will also be used to suppress the
> "politically incorrect" speech.  Recall that Jim Bell has already been
> accused of "spamming", in addition to other crimes.

Uh, no. Bell was charged with violating:

26 U.S.C. Section 7212(a)
42 U.S.C. Section 408(a)

Which are, generally, attempts to interfere with administration of
internal revenue laws and fraudulent use of a false SSN.

Besides, spamming isn't a criminal offense, last time I checked.

In the interests of completeness, I should note that I just finished a
rather long article about Bell's arrest and related events for Internet
Underground magazine. The government hinted that they might have
additional charges to file against Bell by the time the grand jury
convenes in probably two weeks. He is currently being held without bail, a
situation more common in Federal than state courts.

-Declan

Thread